Revision Open Labral Repair (Revision Bankart)
What is Revision Open Labral Repair?
Revision open labral repair, also known as a revision Bankart surgery, is an open surgery performed to stabilize the shoulder joint after an unsuccessful primary labral repair surgery that may have been done either arthroscopically or as open surgery.
Indications for Revision Open Labral Repair
A revision open labral repair surgery may be indicated if a patient experiences recurrent shoulder instability following the initial labral repair surgery. Young or highly active individuals are at a higher risk of developing this problem after the initial shoulder stabilization surgery.
Preparation for Revision Open Labral Repair
Specific instructions will be provided by your surgeon. In general, you should:
- Stop smoking as it can slow down the healing process.
- Inform your surgeon about any health conditions, allergies, and regular medications.
- Avoid eating 8-12 hours prior to the surgery.
Revision Open Labral Repair Procedure
The revision open labral repair procedure may include the following steps:
- Examination under anesthesia is performed to check for multi-directional instability and bone deformities in the shoulder joint.
- The patient is then placed in a modified beach-chair position with a bump under the scapula for better access and visualization of the joint.
- An incision is made along the front of the shoulder.
- The underlying fascia is excised, and tendons exposed without injury to the major blood vessels and nerves.
- Debridement of the shoulder labrum is performed, and suture anchors are used to reattach the torn labrum to the shoulder socket.
- If there is significant shoulder capsule laxity, a capsular shift may be performed, which is a procedure to tighten the shoulder capsule and ligaments for better shoulder stabilization.
- The underlying soft tissues and skin are then closed in layers and covered with a dressing.
Postoperative Care for Revision Bankart Repair
Postoperative care precautions after revision Bankart repair include the following:
- A shoulder sling may be used for a few weeks post-surgery to restrict the motion of the healing shoulder.
- Usually, you will be asked to begin physical therapy after the first postoperative visit following your surgery, in order to restore your shoulder strength and functionality.
- You may be advised to stay away from physically demanding activities for some time. However, you may be allowed to perform low-risk activities eight to ten weeks post-surgery.
Risks and Complications of Revision Open Labral Repair (Revision Bankart)
Revision open labral repair is a safe surgical procedure; however, there is a minimal risk of bleeding, infection, shoulder stiffness, delayed healing, and failure to heal after surgery.
Benefits of Revision Open Labral Repair (Revision Bankart)
Benefits of revision openBankart repair include:
- Improved shoulder stability
- Increased range of motion
- Lower recurrence of dislocation after surgery